Monday, August 17, 2009

Who gave you a helping hand today?


Photo credit: D Sharon Pruitt

My 16-month old son offered me a glass of water today, which he had poured from his beaker into my glass, and carried all the way to the living room where I was.

I was surprised and impressed that he'd thought of doing it and could actually execute it. So touched. It was just what I wanted too, and I didn't even have to ask for it.

Who has given you a helping hand recently? And who have you helped?

Sometimes when I've been feeling overwhelmed by that amount of work I have to do I suddenly realise that the reason I'm so exhausted is not that I've got a marriage, three kids, a business and a house to look after.

It's because I try to do it all on my own. Even my husband and I together can't manage to do everything we think needs to be done.
Why do we assume we need to do so much by ourselves? Why are so many of us (I include myself here) such masochists and martyrs?

The best thing that happened to me last Christmas was actually a few days before, when I was feeling stressed about all the things I had to do before the 25th. I was sleep-deprived and feeling so blah that everything was out of proportion in my mind.

I was telling a friend that I couldn't do anything useful as I was stuck at home with a clingy baby glued to my hip.

"I haven't done my shopping, the tree's still in the box, the house is a tip, there are cobwebs over the windows," I went on.

She turned up with super strength insect spray and got to work with a bucket and broom and sponges. That got me so motivated. I turned up the music and we both worked like maniacs for three hours.

When she left, the whole house, including the windows, were gleaming and I was feeling much more hopeful about all the other things that had been bothering me.

It wasn't really a clean house I needed. I needed to be reminded that I had friends who would drop everything and help me clean my house if that's what it took to make me feel better.

We all need a helping hand sometimes. And we all need to extend a hand to others at times as well.

It's so much nicer doing life together.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful friend.

    I remember when we first moved from Adelaide. I was half way through my pregnancy with Amelia and all these friends came around and helped me clean the house up for our tenants. I was really touched by their generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really makes a difference doesn't it? It's hard to ask for help sometimes, but that's part of what builds community.b

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a special friend ...

    Of course someone as wonderful, amazing and as beautiful a friend as you, received a return act of kindness. It was well received.

    Your son is amazing and he obviously has picked it it up from you.Children learn with what they live.

    Well ...a little joke remember that most small children can only reach certain water sources (think woof woof water and the toilet bowl)
    Did you ever hear the one about the little toddler girl with the new tea set and making daddy cups of 'tea' ?
    Daddy drank up with glee ...till Mummy came home and reminded him where the only water she could reach was.
    Hope tomorrow is brighter for you
    Did you find twitter yet ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ARGHHH! Toilet water??? Thanks a lot Trish!

    Apart from that disgusting image you've given me, I'm blushing from your lovely comments.

    Hope you're having a beautiful day. I haven't had a chance to look up twitter yet, my internet connection's been really patchy this week for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin