Monday, March 1, 2010

Freelance writing goals for March (or For the Love of Cheese)

I've just completed my first month back at work as a freelance writer, proofreader and copy editor. I would like to say I'm doing it just for the love of it, but, well, no. I need to pay for swimming lessons and nice cheeses.

At the start of February I set a goal, the average sum of money I wanted to be earning each week within six months.

Four weeks later, I think I've done a pretty good job to be already well over half of my average weekly goal.

I enjoy my work, but I still find it challenging sometimes to work alone at home, with no one to bounce ideas off. When I'm busy, I've not no problem. I slip right into that happy zone where I am completely focussed on the task and oblivious to the world around me.

But a couple of times it's been quiet, and I noticed the clock ticking the day away. Then the self-doubt and general worry seeped in and eventually guilt about sending the kids to daycare while I indulge in hand-wringing and clicking around on the internet.

For inspiration I've started reading the blog, Zen Habits. I also still like Karen Cheng, I've been reading her blog for years. Chrisblogging, which deals specificially with freelance writing, is useful too.

I think planning is key to avoiding those quiet times. I'm taking things slowly, I have time to build the business and don't have to do try to accomplish everything all at once. So I have a pretty good plan for March all mapped out - a few deadlines, a networking event, and a book proposal to make.

Plus, my website should be up very soon!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin